It’s my annual review of how the year went, good, bad, and meh, how I did with my goals, and looking at my financials for the year. Ending the episode by sharing my writing-related goals for 2017!
News & Notes:
Gotten a few more chapters of the NaNo 2016 project written, thanks to Dragon, and even wrote some while at a sing-along get together event. Also used Dragon to get more work done on the non-fiction project
2016…Oh This Year!
I realized Deviations abject failure, the stress/drain of all that overtime earlier in the year to finish a project at work, and the loss of my loved one affected me a lot more than I accounted for. Need to stop considering so many things “failures” versus delayed.
Earnings went up! Not a lot, but up is better than down!
- Earnings in 2015: $160.69 (21% print, 25% KU, 54% eBook)
- Earnings in 2016: $200.02 (44% print, 16% KU, 40% eBook)
Only had one month without eBook sales at all, versus last year where I had 5. And only one month out of the year where I had no measurable income (over $1) versus last year where I had three. Still nothing consistent about my earnings, it goes up and down each month, but that’s a given with my sporadic releases and promotion
Overall income for the year: $278.00 (different because it’s based on actual payments received)
Total expenses: ~$2,040
Total loss for the year: ~$1,762; significantly better than last year’s loss of $2,782, though still obviously a loss
How Did I Do With Those Goals?
- Deviations – launched February 14th, so overall did awesome on that, ahead of schedule! And it bombed, spectacularly. Almost all income this year was from Aisuru.
- Aisuru – New cover, formatting all done; print updated, but again was not able to sell 100 copies. I gave away that many, but actual sales, no. Still, sales were up overall.
- Girl in the Forest – unable to do in 2016 as hoped; moved to 2017 due to all the stuff going on
- Knives and the Girl – launched and already had a cover change (so much better)
- Writing 1-2 New Novels – Maid Maleen was truly a failed experiment, NaNo 2016, didn’t finish the novel, but still in progress
- Both books are in the BCS Library system, so yay! 🙂
- Manga Monday flipped to podcast so didn’t do as blog, but did find a way to do that I enjoyed
- Only read 124 books this year, but did read 5 physical TBRs, 4 digital, and 5 non-fiction books! Goal count doesn’t take into account omnibuses, which encompass 2-3 volumes each..